1127 S. St. Mary’s • 210.745.2581
- Pearl – the faux-Texas beer. No longer brewed in San Antonio, Pearl is brewed by Miller Brewing Company in Fort Worth. I noticed a gentleman seated at the bar drinking a michelada with a can of Brooklyn Brewery’s Summer Ale. Thus, I’m not sure if you can request a substitute beer (possibly for an additional charge) or maybe the patron at the bar is a regular.
- The glass lacked dressing (salt/ chile powder) around its rim.
- This michelada lacked that smack of spicy. I probably said “this could use more pepper” on several occasions.
- Personally, I prefer micheladas with an indistinguishable red color (that way I don’t have to ask the bartender if tomato juice is included in their recipe). The Monterey’s was a faded tomato red, highlighting its perfect beer:tomato juice ratio.
Overall Taste: ✪✪✪
- Despite this michelada’s poor showing in individual categories, its overall taste was indisputably refreshing. The light, is-this-even-beer-taste of Pearl coupled with the tomato juice made for a quenching summer drink. I appreciate a spicy michelada and The Monterey’s completely lacked in that department. Nonetheless, at only $3.50 in the comfy confines of The Monterey, it’s well worth a try.
— Ryan Sachetta